Friendly, Committed And Always Working For You

Our attorneys have the skills, experience and dedication needed to help families, individuals & businesses make smart, informed legal decisions in Alabama.

Modifying Child Support And Child Custody

Child support and child custody are very different subjects in many ways, but they have some important things in common. First, and most importantly, if you are facing these issues, they involve your children. Every child custody or child support decision must be made with the best interests of the child in mind.

Beyond that, the two subjects also force you to have some kind of continuing relationship with the other parent. This can be difficult, especially after a bitter divorce or in cases where the parents were never married.

When a problem arises — such as when one parent is no longer able to meet his or her obligations — you may need legal help to resolve the problem. In some cases, you may need help enforcing an order. In others, you may need to request a modification.

At The Merrell Law Firm, LLC, our attorneys help parents with many different issues related to child custody and child support, including modification and enforcement actions.

Child Custody Modifications

After you put a lot of work into a child custody agreement, you may be reluctant to try to change anything about it. Still, life can throw a lot of changes at you and your child. New developments can render an old child custody arrangement unworkable.

In particularly difficult cases, you may find that the other parent is not treating your child well, and you may need to request a modification in the best interest of the child.

At the Merrell Law Firm, LLC, we have experience helping families with modifying child custody agreements in a variety of circumstances.

Child Support Modifications

Unlike child custody, child support obligations are not based on an agreement between the parents. Rather, a child support obligation is a legal duty based on every parent’s duty to provide for his or her children. The amount of child support a parent must pay is determined by the state and is based on the child’s needs and the parent’s income.

However, both the child’s needs and the parent’s ability to pay can change over time, making an old child support order out of date. When an unexpected change, such as an illness or a job loss, makes an old child support order unworkable, a verbal agreement between the parents isn’t enough. You need legal help.

At the Merrell Law Firm, LLC, we help noncustodial parents modify their obligations when their financial circumstances change, and we help custodial parents modify or enforce child support orders when a change is necessary.

Contact Us Today

If you need the help of a skilled lawyer for modifying child custody or child support, call the Merrell Law Firm, LLC, today at 205-874-9697. You can also contact us by email.

Our office is in Hoover, Alabama, and we represent clients in Jefferson and Shelby counties and the surrounding area.