Edward A. Merrell
- Managing Attorney
Mr. Merrell focuses his practice in three primary areas of the law:
Civil Litigation including the litigation phases of Divorce and Family Law, Breach of Contract and Homeowner Insurance denial claims. The firm has been successful in defending clients against lawsuits worth millions of dollars and has recovered over 5 million dollars for plaintiff clients. Divorce matters have ranged in protecting small assets to Millions of dollars and protecting your rights to your children and visitation. Our firm represents dozens of businesses defending them against liability, creating limited liability companies and other incorporation and assist with drafting their contracts and handbooks.
Criminal Law handling your common traffic tickets as well as many first-degree felonies, including, assault, terrorism, sex offenses, theft of property, identity theft and drug and marijuana charges. He is an advocate of 2nd amendment rights. and criminal law.
Appellate Practice which includes filing of cases to the Civil Court of Appeals in Montgomery. We will assist you as an individual or as the Appellate team working with your trial attorney to attempt to reverse any errors arising out of your litigation.
Mr. Merrell is a frequent contributor providing legal commentary on ABC, CBS and NBC news outlets as well as speaking at school events and event/public rallies.
Mr. Merrell's work history prior to becoming an attorney includes nearly 10 years in the criminal justice system working as a police officer, member of the coast guard, detention officer and instructor. He is also a board member for Just Keep Smiling, a charitable organization assisting children with medical needs. He has over nine years' experience in the insurance industry handling homeowner claims. He has more than 12 years' experience working with youth at the YMCA, youth sports and High school. He was a member of the Birmingham School of Law's honor society, graduating as the organization's treasurer, and had also served as special prosecutor on the honor court. Mr. Merrell spends all of his time outside of the office with his family, especially his daughter. He loves college football in the fall and enjoys history; in particular Gettysburg, Williamsburg and England.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Appellate (Civil Appeals)
- Divorce/Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Insurance Law (Property/Homeowners)
- Birmingham School of Law, Birmingham, Alabama
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Member, Birmingham School of Law’s Honor Society
- Honors: Treasurer, Birmingham School of Law’s Honor Society
- University of Alabama
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Peyton Pruitt Rally “Mental Health in Justice” 2016, Speaker
- Brown Mackie College “3 branches of government” 2016, Speaker
- Fortis College “Business Formation” 2015 & 2016, Speaker
- Brown Mackie “Search & Seizure and gun control” 2015, Speaker
- Program Advisory Committee, Brown Mackie College, Member
- Program Advisory Committee, ITT Technical Institute, Member
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2018
- Top Attorney - Civil Litigation , 2018
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2019
- “Lead Counsel Rated” in Civil Litigation and Family Law
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association, Member
- Law School & Legal Education Task Force, Member, 2016 to 2017
- Birmingham Bar Association, Crisis Relief Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Alabama Association for Justice, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- 2016 Pro Bono Small Firm of the Year awarded by the Birmingham Bar Association