Edward A. Merrell
- Managing Attorney
Mr. Merrell focuses his practice in three areas of the law: civil litigation, family law and criminal law. He has handled cases from complaint filing to discovery to trial and has been very successful in front of juries. He has appeared in over 100 trials in both civil and criminal courts in 16 different counties in Alabama. He is "Lead Counsel Rated" in civil litigation and family law.
In the area of civil litigation, the firm has been successful in defending clients against lawsuits worth millions of dollars and has recovered over 5 million dollars for other plaintiff clients. The typical cases handled in civil litigation include breach of contract case, homeowner insurance claims, construction cases, and landlord/tenant matters. Our firm assists numerous businesses create limited liability companies and assist with drafting their contracts and handbooks.
Working in criminal law, Mr. Merrell handles your common traffic tickets as well as many first-degree felonies, including, assault, terrorism, sex offenses, theft of property, identity theft and drug and marijuana charges. He is an advocate of 2nd amendment rights.
Mr. Merrell is often found speaking at school events and event/public rallies. Some of his topics and locations include the Peyton Pruitt Rally, "Mental Health in Justice,"; Brown Mackie College, "3 branches of government,"; Fortis College, "Business Formation,"; and Brown Mackie, "Search & Seizure and gun control,".
Mr. Merrell's work history prior to becoming an attorney includes nearly 10 years in the criminal justice system working as a police officer, member of the coast guard, detention officer and instructor. He is also a board member for Just Keep Smiling, a charitable organization assisting children with medical needs. He has over nine years' experience in the insurance industry handling homeowner claims. He has more than 12 years' experience working with youth at the YMCA, youth sports and High school. He was a member of the Birmingham School of Law's honor society, graduating as the organization's treasurer, and had also served as special prosecutor on the honor court. Mr. Merrell spends all of his time outside of the office with his family, especially his daughter. He loves college football in the fall and enjoys history; in particular Gettysburg, Williamsburg and England.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Insurance Law
- Birmingham School of Law, Birmingham, Alabama
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Member, Birmingham School of Law’s Honor Society
- Honors: Treasurer, Birmingham School of Law’s Honor Society
- University of Alabama
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Peyton Pruitt Rally “Mental Health in Justice” 2016, Speaker
- Brown Mackie College “3 branches of government” 2016, Speaker
- Fortis College “Business Formation” 2015 & 2016, Speaker
- Brown Mackie “Search & Seizure and gun control” 2015, Speaker
- Program Advisory Committee, Brown Mackie College, Member
- Program Advisory Committee, ITT Technical Institute, Member
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2018
- Top Attorney - Civil Litigation , 2018
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2019
- “Lead Counsel Rated” in Civil Litigation and Family Law
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association, Member
- Law School & Legal Education Task Force, Member, 2016 to 2017
- Birmingham Bar Association, Crisis Relief Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Alabama Association for Justice, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- 2016 Pro Bono Small Firm of the Year awarded by the Birmingham Bar Association